CCSS IP Math I 1.2.3 Example 2
In sporting tournaments, teams are eliminated after they lose. The number of teams in the tournament then decreases by half with each round. If there are 16 teams left after 3 rounds, how many teams started out in the tournament?
- Read and reread the scenario to identify the known and unknown quantities.
- Create expressions and equations from the known quantities and variable(s).
- Substitute the values into the general form of the equation .
- Follow the order of operations to solve the problem.
- Interpret the solution in terms of the context of the problem.