Dilating a Segment:
1) Fill in the blank: The image of any segment under a dilation about a point is another ______________.
2) What does the image look like if the scale factor k = 1? Describe.
3) What does the image segment look like if the scale factor k = 0? Describe.
4) What does the image segment look like if the scale factor k = -1? Describe.
5) What happens to the location of the image of the original segment if k > 0 vs. k < 0?
6) Suppose the preimage has length = 4.8 cm. If k = 3.2, determine the length of the image of this segment.
7) Suppose the image has a length of 12.5 cm. If k = 1.5, determine the length of the preimage.
8) What does the action with the blue angles imply about the 2 segments?
Let's generalize now: Fill in the blanks to make a true statement: Suppose a _______(a)_______ is dilated about a ______(b)______ with scale factor k. Then the ________(c)________ of this original _______(d)______ is another _____(e)_____ that is both _______(f)________ to the original segment and has a ______(g)______ that is ___(h)___ times as ____(i)___ as the original ________(j)________.