This applet simulates the motion of a string of length , mass , and tension (units of the international system of measurement) fixed at its ends. The string is decomposed into equally displaced points and it is assumed that its motion is only transversal (no longitudinal compones computed). Furthermore, the amplitude of oscillation is supposed to be sufficiently small in order to simplify the computation of the transverse component of acceleration, and the motion is assumed to be uniformly accelerated during a sufficiently small time interval (here ).
You have several controls:
- button Initialise sets the initial profile of the string,
- button Start starts the simulation,
- button Stop ends the simulation,
- label shows the time of simulation,
- button Get initial time/Get final time allows to capture time lapses (shown on the right),
- input boxes , , , and set the string parameters,
- input box Initial profile of the string allows to define a personalised initial configuration of the string,
- buttons Pulse, Fundamental, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Signal set predefined profiles (respectively a gaussian pulse, the first seven harmonics, and a signal consisting of a superposition of the first seven harmonics with coefficients settable by means of the corresponding sliders).