CCGPS CA 2.3.2 Example 4
An artist wants to analyze the time that he spends creating his art. He makes oil paintings and watercolor paintings. The artist takes 8 hours to paint an oil painting.
- He takes 6 hours to paint a watercolor painting.
- He has set aside a maximum of 24 hours per week to paint his paintings.
- He takes 3 hours to frame and put the final touches on his watercolor paintings.
- He has set aside a maximum of 12 hours per week for framing and final touch-ups.
- Create the system of inequalities. Let x = the number of oil paintings he makes. Let y = the number of watercolor paintings he makes.
- Graph the system on the same coordinate plane.
- The solution is the overlapping shaded region; any points that lie within it are solutions to the system.