Generator Paralleling Simulator
- William Haynes
Goal: Start and parallel Generator 2. Balance active and reactive loads, while maintaining nominal voltage and frequency.
- Start the generator prime mover and bring it up to speed.
- Adjust the incoming generator to nominal voltage and frequency.
- Turn on the synchroscope to the incoming generator position.
- Adjust speed until the synchroscope is turning slowly in the fast (clockwise) direction, about 1/10 Hz higher than the bus.
- Bring the incoming voltage to slightly higher than bus voltage.
- When ready, close the circuit breaker when synchroscope is at the 11:00 position.
- Balance the active load by making adjustments to the governors. This will have a secondary effect of raising or lowering the frequency and voltage.
- Balance the reactive load by making adjustments to the voltage regulators. This will have a secondary effect of raising or lowering the voltage.
- Maintain voltage and frequency within the limits while balancing the load.