Subtracting Proper Fractions
- Anthony Dove
This app explores subtracting proper fractions that may or may not start with common denominators using fraction circles.
- Create your fractions you want to subtract. You will get a message if your fractions are not proper, if your common denominator is greater than 32, or if your difference would be negative.
- If you need common denominators, click "Equivalent Fractions." Drag the slider until you find a common denominator that will create equivalent fractions.
- Drag the blue point on the right circle to the center of the left circle to see what subtracting will visually remove from the subtrahend.
- Click "Subtract Fractions" to actually subtract the two fraction circles.
- Write in your solution to see if you found the correct difference!